Sunday, May 3, 2009

carnaval sur la plage

carnaval sur la plage

First of all, Caleb Madison is brilliant. Sunday puzzles, pure genius, and he’s about four years old. Amazing. I just want to say that part now. Because I’m about to talk about a handful of crossings in today’s puzzle that made me kinda cranky, but I want to make it clear that I think Caleb is a genius. And personable. We need to get him on the podcast one of these days. I so enjoyed meeting him at the ACPT. Right now, if I had to put money down on who I think could possibly be Will Shortz’s eventual replacement at the New York Times, I might put that money on Caleb Madison. But only if he gets a haircut and grows a mustache. Caleb, get to work on that.

Okay, let’s get the theme and cleverness covered. The puzzle is called “A Stately Garden,” and in the long entries, some letters are circled. The clues each end with a state name in brackets (I guess to make it clear that the states are not part of the clues?), and ultimately, what I think happens is that the circled letters spell out the state flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment